Tuesday 24 August 2010

On the set of "Luck"

There isn't much to chew on when finding out about the forthcoming Michael Mann pilot, "Luck", but this horse racing blog from the Santa Anita track in Los Angeles provides some personal insight. The pictures are worth a look. Let's face it, if there isn't a palm tree in a Michael Mann movie, then I am disappointed. The racing track doesn't disappoint. I love palm trees - we don't have them where I live, sigh. But look at these palms at Santa Anita track... aren't they gorgeous? Heat, Collateral, Insider, Miami Vice... my palm tree heaven.


This is from Mary Forney's Blog on horseracing. She became a "lucky" extra for the day.

Well I've just wrapped up a grueling two days of work as an extra (actually we were called "background") for the filming of Luck at Santa Anita, an HBO pilot written and produced by David Milch and directed by Michael Mann.

And let me tell you, I have nothing but respect for everyone involved in film production, from the multitude of crew members to the actors, assistant directors and director. Apparently non-stop 14 hour work days are nothing out of the ordinary for these people. It almost killed me! It was, however, an experience I wouldn't trade. For one thing, I got to work on the same set as actors Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, Richard Kind, and Kevin Dunn.

The days started with a 5:30 a.m. call, and a visit to the wardrobe trailer in the dark.

To see the original blog in its entirety with pictures, click here