Wednesday 22 June 2011

Phil Bloom

Sony F3... yummy.
I accidentally came across Phil bloom as I began to research DSLRs as movie making tools. I now realize he has become an unexpected guru of the DSLR video world. I can understand why... not only does he know his stuff, he actually knows how to create beautiful imagery and meaningful tests that real world people can understand and visually see. To cap it all, he seems remarkably down to earth. I have time and respect for Phil Bloom.

If you saw an earlier post you read I was taking baby steps in looking at the Canon 7D for video. It still looks great for a low budget job. But as we all know, the Canon 5D MK ii is what us mortals dream about... well, that was until I saw the Sony F3! Phil Bloom brilliantly shows us why the F3 is such a gorgeous camera. Even on these web clips you can see the F3 blows away the Sony FS100 and MK ii in quality. It is simply stunning in image quality. Should be at over $20,000 a pop! But is the extra quality worth the extra? Only you, your project and your wallet will know. For me, I can't even afford a Canon 7D. But as a former large format professional landscape photographer, I know quality when I see it.

Check out Phil Bloom's site. It is bloomin good. Would love to do his London workshop this July...

Here is a comparison test Bloom did between the Sony F3, Sony FS100 and Canon 5D Mark ii. The low light tests on his father are stunning.


AF100 vs F3 vs FS100 Part 1: The Real World from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.